- Name (Mandatory): The VO name must be unique and in DNS style. It should be clarified whether the VO Manager is authorised to make use of it. The VO Supervisor should confirm with the VO Manager if it is not obvious that the owner of the domain and the VO Manager are the same person. It is not considered sufficient that the VO Manager's email address is in the same domain as the VO name's one, nor that the VOMS server or VO home page address is in that domain. Doubts about the ownership of the domain do not prevent VO registration, as the responsibility for acquiring the domain name lies with the VO Manager, but the VO Manager should consider that if the domain is acquired by someone else, it could lead to confusion and legal problems with regard to the trademark. In case no proper domain can be used it's possible to use the VO name suffixed by vo.egi.eu.
- Description (Mandatory): The Description of the purpose of the VO must be in English and should either describe a scientific or technical activity, or be related to education. The text is also used to delimit the appropriate use if the resources in the infrastructure, so it should be meaningful for this purpose, i.e. saying “VO giving access to the resources” is a poor description whereas “VO giving access to the resources for training purposes” is acceptable.
- Discipline (Mandatory): Scientific Discipline(s) of the VO activities. There should be not contradiction between the Description field and this one.
- Supported Middleware (Mandatory): There are options to choose which grid middleware or cloud resources the VO will access. The Operations Portal automatically checks that at least one option was chosen by the VO Manager.
- Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) (Mandatory): This is about having a specific Acceptable Use Policy for the VO. On the “New VO registration web page” the registering VO Manager can choose between a text automatically generated from the Description, but in which at least some words have to be updated, or a text or PDF file uploaded by the manager containing the VO AUP. In the former case, it has just to be checked if the update has been done; the words to be replaced are “owner body”, enclosed in brackets “[ ]”, which must be replaced by a text that specifies the authority enforcing the VO AUP. Otherwise, the VO will remain in the NEW state. If the AUP is uploaded, the complete text has to be verified to ensure that it corresponds to a valid VO AUP. In case of doubt, in addition to contacting the VO Manager, the EGI SPG can be asked for advice.
- VO homepage (Mandatory): A link to the VO homepage. It will be verified if the homepage contains information about the on-going/planned activity and if this information corresponds to the VO’s Description.
- Enrolment URL (Mandatory): URL allowing new users to register with the VO. This URL will only be known once the VO has been created in one of the Attribute Authorities (VOMS, Check-in, PERUN,...). It must be checked whether this field is functional or simply an optional service for the VO. Additionally, the information available on the enrolment Web page could inform about the purpose and scope of the VO, as well as privacy and security considerations (availability of AUP, reminder of correct resource usage etc.).
- Support procedure URL (Optional): The support procedure URL describes how support is provided for this VO and how users should communicate in order to report an issue or request assistance.